No, I promise it won’t happen every time, but it is going to happen, and you’re gonna have to put up with my “mom” moments. Sometimes, I contemplate life as a mom, something I really never expected to be. As a mom of a toddler, my perspective has completely changed. Props to anybody who can handle more than one. I hear that whole man-to-man vs. zone defense, and it makes me queasy. I’d be in a wealth of trouble. But let me tell you what makes a mom of a toddler happy (well, at least this mom of a toddler):
- A long, hot shower uninterrupted. OMG! I need not say anymore.
- Someone babysitting your kid and texting you that they are running a little late in dropping off your child so you have a few extra minutes before they get home. That’s like a Christmas gift wrapped up with thousands of dollars in it!
- As a toddler parent, I am surprising excited about shopping for the next size. There’s probably nothing cuter than little kid clothes – they’re colorful, they’re fun, and they don’t have to fit YOU!
- They would love to hear, “Oh, I am so sorry. My kid never slept either and we were so worried because he hit everyone at daycare and embarrassed us in public.” Nobody wants to hear about how perfect someone else’s kid was and is when theirs is clearly NOT!
- Another thing a toddler parent wants to hear: “Oh, your child is so well-behaved! You must be doing a great job!” For the record, I have never heard this statement and probably never will, but I know I’d love to hear it as long as it were true.
- Oh, and we love to eat our own food without sharing. Chocolate-chip cookies with milk? Yes, please.
- We dream of watching an entire episode of our favorite show, and again, uninterrupted. If you’re curious, I love me some Younger on TVLand. Love. That. Show!
- But I have to admit, there’s one thing that I had no idea would make me so happy and it happened a couple of weeks ago: my girl said, “Wove you, Mama.” Truly might be the best words I’ve ever heard. I melted. And if you know me, you know I don’t melt all that often. So there it is, the sappy, non-sarcastic thing every toddler mom loves to hear. Sure hope you’ve had the pleasure, as well.
Do you have something that would make you happy as a mom or dad of a toddler, a mom of a teenager, a mom of a college graduate, etc? Let’s hear it!
Can you relate?
Got something else I need to know? Spread it.