If you could, would you go back to college? My answer: negatory, good buddy! But were those days worth it? Completely! Sure there’s all that degree stuff that got me a job and helps me pay bills and blah, blah, blah, but at the end of the day, the part I love most about college are the awesome friends you make there. (Sappy moment. My apologies!)
In fact, I could actually feel my voice going octaves higher as I anticipated seeing the Loop last weekend. Yes, the Loop. That’s what we call ourselves. Together, the 7 of us make up the Loop because we will have our own cul-de-sac retirement village someday. I have known these girls for 19 years and we still get together at least once a year (usually more) to relive glory days and create new ones. When I partake a little too much, they call it “Drunk Erica” and talk about me in 3rd person when I’m sitting next to them. Kinda funny.
Lots of you guys probably go on fishing trips or hunting trips with the guys. Heck, a few of you even go on mancations, but women seem to be different. They often feel guilty about outings sans family. I’m here to tell you: you shouldn’t! A good you makes a good wife and a good mom and a good worker. I see it every time I see these girls. They have made time for “us” and it benefits them, as well as me. Without them, I would forget what makes Bolton Carley special.
I know lots of ladies who say they don’t have time to go hang out with old friends. I’m just not okay with that. Make time. Why? Well, here’s why I swear by it:
- A weekend away always reminds my husband how much he hates doing his own laundry and making his own food aka I get some R*E*S*P*E*C*T when I arrive home. (If you have a child, plan on getting flowers next week even!)
- Laughing burns calories. Hello, point one-tenth of an ounce weight-loss! Yeah, baby!
- Photo ops! Listen, I don’t know about you, but I am certainly not of the selfie generation and unless I’m muggin’ with my girls, there aren’t a lot of pictures taken for my funeral montage. Lol.
- Female bonding. Seriously. Girl-talk saves the world. Who else am I going to talk to about waxing, coffee boy from 1995, how Pinterest keeps me from getting my work done, and the stresses of finding the right shoes to go with the new dress I bought for the ex-so-and-so’s wedding? These are the discussions you just can’t have at home.
- The something-different factor. Maybe it’s just me, but a trip away from home with people I don’t get to hang out with very often and that have known me longer than I’d like to believe is possible leaves me with a whole different perspective on things. Now it may be the perspective you get from finding the bottom of a fishbowl drink, but it’s still a different perspective! And would I ever have done wine tasting or pottery painting without them? Hell no. They add spice to my life…or is that craziness? Oh well, I’ll take either.
Okay, I could probably go on and on why it’s good for your mind and your sanity to “hang with the old homies” lol, but hopefully, I’ve inspired you to pick up the phone or send that email. And if you have some even better reasons than mine, come help support my cause. Put those reasons in the comment section below! We gotta stick together!